Note: t = teaspoon, T =Tablespoon
4t dried yeast
3/4 pint milk
1 1/2 lb flour
6t gluten flour
1 egg, beaten, for brushing.
1. Dissolve the teaspoon of sugar in the warmed milk and sprinkle the yeast on top. Stir gently and leave for 10-15 min. until frothy.
2. Mix together the flours, salt and remaining sugar in a large warm bowl. Make a well in the centre.
3. Melt butter and cool to lukewarm.
4. Pour yeast mixture and the butter into the flour well. mix until all the flour is incorporated and the dough comes away cleanly from the sides of the bowl. Add more flour or luke warm water if necessary. Turn the dough out and knead it for 10 min. until elastic and smooth.
5. Form the dough into a ball and return it to the cleaned greased bowl. Cover with greased plastic or a damp cloth and leave to rise in a warm place for two hours.
6. Knock down the dough and knead for 5 min. divide into 24 pieces and roll each to a bun shape place on a greased oven slide (tray) allow to rise (covered) for half an hour and then brush with the beaten egg. Bake in the centre of a fairly hot oven (200°C, 400°f or Gas 6) for 10 min.
When cooled, split them in half and serve with strawberry jam and thick cream. Dust with icing (confectioners) sugar if you wish.
Happy eating SHARE With Your Friends: