Yields: 4 Servings
For Peanut Sauce:
- 3 Tbsp Minced red onions
- 1 tsp Fresh minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp Dried red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- 1/4 cup Creamy peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp Soy or teriyaki sauce
- 1 tsp Tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
For Summer Rolls:
- 1 oz Glass noodles (cellophane noodles)
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Seasoned rice vinegar
- 4 (8-inch) Rice paper rounds (plus additional in case some tear)
- 2 ea Red-leaf lettuce leaves Ribs cut out and discarded and leaves halved
- 1/4 cup Fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup Fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup Thinly sliced nappa cabbage
- 1/4 cup Fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup Allumette carrots (matchstick cut)
To make the sauce:
Sauté onion, garlic and red pepper flakes in sesame oil in a small heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring, until lightly browned. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and let simmer for about 1 minute, and then cool.
To make the vegetable rolls:
1. Cover the noodles with boiling water and soak for about 15 minutes, then drain well in a sieve.
2. Pat dry between paper towels and toss with vinegar and salt.
3. Lay some paper towels on a flat work surface and fill a shallow baking pan with warm water.
4. Soak 1 rice-paper sheet in warm water until pliable (about 45 seconds), then transfer to paper towels.
5. Arrange 1 piece of lettuce on bottom half of soaked rice-paper, folding or tearing to fit and leaving 1-inch border along edge. Spread one fourth of the peanut sauce over the lettuce and top with one fourth each of mint, basil, cabbage and noodles.
6. Roll up rice paper tightly around filling and, after rolling halfway, arrange one fourth of cilantro and carrots along crease.Then fold in sides and continue rolling. Transfer rolls to a plate and cover with wet paper towels. Make 3 more rolls in the same manner. Serve rolls halved on the diagonal.
184 Calories / Protein
5.6g / Fat 9.6g / Carbohydrates
20.8g / Fiber 2.1g