Uncle’s Indian Chilli Chicken – Recipes for Single Men
A tasty and spicy stir fried Indian Chinese chicken dish that is easy to cook and uses only green chillis and green capsicums.
- half a kilo of tender chicken. thigh pieces are the easiest to use. cut into medium small pieces. bones are okay. be careful of tiny splinters. that’s why half-cut thigh pieces are the best.
- 3 capsicums (American green peppers), chopped into medium small pieces.
- 20 medium-sized garlic cloves, chopped laterally into medium-fine pieces. add more or less according to taste.
- 5 medium green chillis (American green hot peppers). do not use Thai hots since they are very spicy. use medium large varieties like Serrano or from an Indian or Oriental store. the smaller they are, the more spicy they are. if you make the dish too spicy, you cannot taste the chillis. chop medium fine laterally. add more or less according to taste.
- 5 whole black peppercorns.
- half a teaspoon of black pepper powder.
- 2 tablespoons of dark soy sauce that is not too thick and is a bit salty. oyster flavoured soy sauce is also good. if the sauce is salty, you do not need to add more salt.
- 2 tablespoons of green chilli sauce available in Indian and Oriental stores.
- 1 tablespoon of plain, white vinegar.
- 2 tablespoons of Chinese fish sauce for extra flavor if desired.
- 4 tablespoons of oil. add more if required to prevent burning of meat. too much oil can ruin the taste.
- salt to taste.
At anytime, remember that you should not let liquid come out of the ingredients being stir fried. if the wok is hot enough, this does not happen. instead, try and cook the ingredient by stir frying.
Gas burners are the best for more heat control. Anytime, the ingredients start getting burnt, remove wok with ingredients from flame until it cools down a bit.
- take a reasonably big wok which will hold all the ingredients. remember that you need to stir fry, so ensure that nothing falls out of the wok.
- heat wok over high flame. add some of the oil and heat.
- when the oil is hot, add in the green capsicum pieces and stir fry. cook the capsicum a little bit but not fully. once they are half cooked, remove from wok and keep in a separate bowl for later mixing. if the capsicum gets cooked more, they lose their fresh green color and start to wilt. this should not happen. instead, let the capsicum remain crisp.
- add some oil into the wok and heat. add in the chicken pieces and stir fry. ensure that liquid does not come out by increasing the flame. however, if the chicken does not get cooked properly, you can reduce the flame slightly to allow some liquid out. cook the chicken in this liquid until the liquid dries up. then stir fry again. when the chicken is almost done, remove from flame and keep in a separate bowl for later mixing.
- add some oil into the wok and heat. stir in the garlic, green chillis, whole black peppers and stir fry. do not allow the garlic to burn. when the green chillis and garlic is half fried, add in the previously fried chicken and green peppers. stir fry all the ingredients.
- add in the black pepper powder, soy sauce, and vinegar. you can also add salt if the soy sauce is not too salty. for extra flavor, sprinkle in some Chinese fish sauce. stir fry all the ingredients but ensure that nothing gets burnt and that the capsicum remains crisp.
- serve piping hot over white steamed rice.