Sheppard’s Pie makes a hearty meal the entire family will enjoy. This is a family favorite with a twist. I’ve modified the recipe and removed the butter and excess fat by using lean ground turkey and low-fat cheese!
Sheppard’s Pie is my favorite dish of all time. Every year, when my mom asked what I wanted for my birthday dinner, the answer was the same- “Sheppard’s Pie”! Now, many people think of Sheppard’s Pie in the traditional sense with lamb and vegetables, but I grew up with a modified version. As I’ve grown older, I’ve taken that version, and modified it into a healthier version of the same recipe.
Gone is the high fat ground beef, and in came the lean ground turkey. Out went the butter in the recipe, and in place of regular cheese, I’ve replaced it with low-fat cheese. Even with all the changes, it’s still a family favorite, and let’s you enjoy “comfort food”, without the extra fat or calories.
There are four basic ingredients to my Sheppard’s Pie, along with a spice or two. The main ingredients are lean ground turkey, baking potatoes, low-fat mozzarella cheese and spaghetti sauce. Let’s get cooking!
What you’ll need for four heaping servings:
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 3 baking potatoes
- 1 package (2 cups) low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce
- (1 cup of milk for mashing your potatoes)
Optional: salt, pepper, celery salt, Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs. These are all optional, and are just to season to taste. You can make the recipe without any of these optional ingredients!
1. Clean, cube and cook potatoes in boiling water.
2. Mash potatoes with masher, adding in milk and celery salt (optional). Whip until smooth, then set aside.
3. Brown your lean ground turkey. Season with salt and pepper for taste.
4. Add spaghetti sauce to your browned ground turkey.
5. Prepare a square baking dish with olive oil cooking spray.
6. You’ll be layering your ingredients. Place mashed potatoes in baking dish, spreading evenly across the bottom of the pan.
7. Next layer your ground turkey (with sauce) over the mashed potatoes.
8. Layer your low-fat mozzarella cheese over the ground turkey.
9. Optional: sprinkle the top with a tablespoon of Parmesan cheese and a tablespoon of breadcrumbs.
10. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
This is sure to become a family favorite, as it’s got the ingredients in it so many people enjoy. It makes a hearty meal for the colder temperatures, and offers a satisfying, filling meal. Double the recipe and reheat leftovers later in the week! Doubling the recipe is a great time saver when you know you’ll have a busy day ahead.SHARE With Your Friends: