- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 small Onion finely chopped
- 6 Tomatoes chopped and seeded – Fresh ripe Italian plum tomatoes or solid pack canned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons or so chopped fresh Herbs: rosemary/parsley and sage or basil Pepper and Salt to taste.
- Warm olive oil and sauté onions until translucent or golden.
- Add tomatoes with juice and herbs, either the rosemary/parsley/sage mix or basil. Cover and simmer for about an hour. (My mother would “simmer” sauces for 4 or 5 hours over very low heat) Stir frequently.
- Mix in salt and pepper.
- (Optional) mash the mixture to get a “fine” texture and cook for a few minutes to reduce.