Ingredients for Laab
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 pound coarsely ground chicken or turkey (breast only)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped shallot
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- A handful of fresh mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons roasted rice powder
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground dried red chile (or hot green pepper)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- butter lettuce leaves
Directions for Laab
In a non-stick frying pan over high heat, bring the stock to a boil. Add the meat and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, tossing often with a large spoon to break up the meat and cook it to fairly evenly. When the meat is cooked, remove the pan from the heat.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meat to a medium bowl, leaving most the of the liquid behind. Stir in the shallot, green onion, cilantro, and most of the mint, reserving a few leaves for a garnish. Add the lime juice, fish sauce, rice powder, chile, and sugar (if preferred); stir to combine everything well. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed for a pleasing balance of sour, salty, and hot.
Roasted Rice Powder
Toast rice in oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes until “toasted”. Watch carefully. Put in blender and blend until rice is “powder”.
SHARE With Your Friends: