Zwetschgend – A Bavarian plum delicacy for dessert. It also includes variations from a few other folks that you might like to try. Roughly translated from Bavarian to German, this is Pflaumenkuchen, which, roughly translated from German to to English is Plum cake. However, Zwetschgend aren’t ordinary plums, a Datschi isn’t really a Kuchen, and a Kuchen is most definitely not a cake! This dessert is made of the slightly tart Italian plums, which are unfortunately only available at certain times of the year. Don’t try to make it with ordinary plums; they’re too sweet and too juicy.
(Fills one round cake pan)
2.5 ml vanilla (or use vanilla sugar)
0.5 ml salt (only if you use unsalted butter)
5 ml lemon peel
15 ml sour cream
200 g flour
5 ml baking powder
500 g Italian plums
Optional Streusel Topping
90 g butter
75 g flour
70 g sugar
2.5 ml cinnamon
(1) In a large bowl, cream the butter, add the sugar (and vanilla), add the egg, (salt,) lemon peel, and sour cream. Mix the flour and baking powder, and add that.
(2) Pit the plums, splitting them into halves or thirds. Grease the pan and spread the dough. Liberally spread plums over the dough, meat side up. If the plums are sour (as opposed to just tart), sprinkle them lightly with sugar.
(3) To make the optional Streusel topping, cream the butter, add flour, sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over the plums.
(4) Bake for 30-45 minutes in the middle rack at 190 deg. C. Be careful not to let the bottom burn!
(5) Serve liberally topped with freshly-made whipping cream.
A Datschi may actually be made with any fruit; I happen to love it with Zwetschgen the best. I don’t know this with Streusel on top, and never prepare it that way, but several of my acquaintances swear by it. Made with other fruit, I would be more likely to accept the Streusel. If you like, you may sprinkle rum or cinnamon over the fruit before baking. Also, you might try substituting rum for the sour cream in the dough, or just adding both. If you want to make a cookie-sheet-sized Datschi, simply double the recipe.
Time: 20 minutes preparation, 20 minutes baking.
Precision: approximate measurement OK.SHARE With Your Friends: