Vanilla Birthday Cake
Prep: 1 hr, 15 mins.
Cook: 40 mins.
Vanilla Birthday Cake Ingredients:
— 325g plain flour.
— 25g cornflour.
— 350g caster sugar.
— 1 tbsp vanilla extract.
— 5 large egg whites.
— 1½ tbsp baking powder.
— 250ml buttermilk.
— 225g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing.
Ingredients for the meringue buttercream:
— 360g unsalted butter, softened.
— 1 tsp vanilla extract.
— 3 large egg whites.
— 240g caster sugar.
— multi-coloured edible polka dots, to decorate.
— 1 vanilla pod, halved lengthways and seeds scraped out.
Vanilla Birthday Cake Recipe:
1) Oven to 180 C / 160 C fan / gas 4 and bold 3 x 20 cm sandwich tins, along the lower sides with baking paper and lubrication of the parchment.
2) Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric whisk until frothy. Add the vanilla extract and egg whites, beating a little at a time, until it completely before combining more. Mix the flour, corn flour and baking powder. Add the dry ingredients in 3 additions, alternating with the buttermilk. Divide the batter between the tins and level the tops.
3) Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Leave the cake in the cans cool for 10 minutes, and then turn on a wire rack, peel off the parchment. Cool completely.
4) To make the butter cream, put the egg whites and sugar in a large bowl (the bowl of your tabletop mixer if you have one) is set with the vanilla and over a pot of barely simmering water. Easy whisk until the sugar has completely dissolved – you can this into the bowl and rub together they check by dipping two fingers; if you do not feel any grains of sugar, the mixture is ready. Remove the bowl from the heat and keep whisking until a thick meringue is formed. Continue whisking until the meringue has cooled to room temperature, then slowly add in butter, 1 tablespoon at a time. At the time, all the butter has been incorporated, should have turned the mixture into a silky smooth butter cream. If not, continue with whisk until it works. If it still refuses to thicken, it may be, the mixture is still warm, so chill for 10 minutes, then wipe on. Add the vanilla extract and mix to combine.
5) To assemble the cake, place a sponge on a cake plate or platter and spread with a thin layer of butter cream. Repeat with the remaining cake layers and finish by the remaining buttercream over the top and sides of the cake (see below). In order to obtain a smooth surface, use the edge of a spatula and gently pull the sides of the cake, smoothing the butter cream. To decorate the cake, and press the sides with the edible polka dots sprinkled the creation of a fully border at the bottom with less and less, the further the cake you go. Best served within 2 days back, but the cake for up to 4 days.
SHARE With Your Friends: