2 pounds of (bony) chicken
1 cup yogurt (dahi)
1″ piece of ginger
8 cloves garlic
2 tbs lime juice
4″ stick of cinnamon
10 black peppercorns
1 tbs oil
2.25 pounds tomatoes
1 tsp. dried fenugreek leaves (optional)
1 tbs. white pepper powder (essential)
1 ounce cream (optional but recommended for a touch of class)
1 !!pound!! butter. You can get away with 0.6 lb if 1 lb is too much.
salt to taste: if you use yellow butter, then scale down the salt accordingly. If you use white butter, then you will need more salt.
coriander (cilantro): optional topping.
– clean chicken and remove the skin
– make a smooth paste of yogurt, garlic, ginger, lime juice, cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms, peppercorns and the oil Marinate the chicken in this for 6 hours.
– Bake the chicken in a preheated oven for 10 minutes at 250 F (130 C). Put it aside. It kindof makes sense to finish steps 1-3 before starting step 4.
– We need to get a tomato sauce. Cut tomatoes, put ’em in a pan (no water) and boil. When the quantity has dropped by half, strain through a fine sieve. What comes out of the sieve is the tomato sauce. (This is hard work with a clumsy sieve).
– Take a pan, start heating the sauce, add the butter. When the butter is melted, add the white pepper powder, salt, fenugreek leaves and cream.
– Mix the chicken pieces into this sauce. You may like chopped coriander (cilantro) as topping. Serve hot. This works best with good rice (i.e. basmati).