Old-Fashioned Cocoa Cake
Work Time: 30 minutes plus cooling
Total Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes plus cooling
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
Rich Chocolate Frosting (below)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 13″ by 9″ metal baking pan.
2. In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
3. In medium bowl, with wire whisk, mix buttermilk, mayonnaise, vanilla, and eggs until almost smooth.
4. With spoon, stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture until batter is smooth. Spoon batter into baking pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack.
5. Prepare Rich Chocolate Frosting. When cake is cool, spread with frosting.
RICH CHOCOLATE FROSTING: In heavy small saucepan, melt 4 squares (1 ounce each) semisweet chocolate and 2 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate over low heat. Remove saucepan from heat; cool chocolate to room temperature. In large bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, 3/4 cup margarine or butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract until almost combined. Add melted, cooled chocolate. Increase speed to high and beat about 1 minute or until light and fluffy.INFO: