If you prefer dark old-fashioned gingerbread with really robust flavor, try using dark molasses instead of light. Our recipe works well either way.
Work Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup margarine or butter (1 stick), softened
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup light or dark molasses
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 large egg
Lemon Sauce (below)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease 8″ by 8″ by 2″ metal baking pan. Line bottom of baking pan with waxed paper; grease waxed paper.
2. In large bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat sugar and margarine or butter until blended. Increase speed to high; beat until creamy, about 1 minute.
3. With mixer at low speed, beat in flour and remaining ingredients except Lemon Sauce. Beat in 3/4 cup hot tap water until blended. Increase speed to high; beat 1 minute longer.
4. Pour batter into pan. Bake 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of gingerbread comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan; discard waxed paper.
5. Prepare Lemon Sauce. Serve gingerbread warm or cool, with warm Lemon Sauce.
Each serving of gingerbread without sauce: About 330 calories, 4 g protein, 55 g carbohydrate, 11 g total fat (2 g saturated), 24 mg cholesterol, 265 mg sodium.
LEMON SAUCE: From 2 large lemons, grate 1 teaspoon peel and squeeze 1/4 cup juice. In 2-quart saucepan, mix 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon cornstarch until blended. Add lemon juice, lemon peel, 2/3 cup water, and 1 tablespoon margarine or butter. Heat to boiling over high heat; boil 1 minute. Makes about 1 1/4 cups.SHARE With Your Friends: