Brown-Sugar Pear Shortcakes
Work Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: About 1 hour
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cake flour (not self-rising)
3 tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
9 tablespoons cold margarine or butter
2/3 cup milk
2 1/2 pounds ripe Bosc pears (about 6 medium), peeled, cored, and cut lengthwise into 3/4-inch wedges
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 strips (2 1/2″ by 1/2″ each) lemon peel
1 cup heavy or whipping cream, whipped
1. Prepare biscuits: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In large bowl, mix all-purpose flour, cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. With pastry blender or two knives used scissor-fashion, cut in 5 tablespoons cold margarine or butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk; quickly stir just until mixture forms a soft dough that comes together (dough will be sticky).
2. Turn dough onto floured surface; gently knead 6 to 8 strokes to mix thoroughly. With floured hands, pat dough 1 inch thick.
3. With floured 2 1/2-inch round biscuit cutter, cut out as many biscuits as possible. With pancake turner, place biscuits, 1 inch apart, on ungreased cookie sheet. Press trimmings together; cut as above to make 6 biscuits in all. Bake 12 to 15 minutes until golden.
4. Meanwhile, prepare pears: In nonstick 12-inch skillet, melt remaining 4 tablespoons margarine or butter over medium-high heat. Add pears and cook, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes until pears are brown and tender, stirring carefully with rubber spatula. Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon, lemon-peel strips, and 1/4 cup water; cook 1 minute. Discard lemon peel.
5. To serve, with fork, split each warm biscuit horizontally in half. Spoon pear mixture onto bottom halves of biscuits; top with whipped cream, then biscuit tops. Makes 6 servings.INFO: