Banana Cream Pie
Work Time: 35 minutes plus chilling
Total Time: 1 hour plus chilling
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon plus 3/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter-flavor shortening or shortening
6 tablespoons margarine or butter (3/4 stick)
1/3 cup cornstarch
3 3/4 cups milk
5 large egg yolks
1 3/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 medium, ripe bananas
3/4 cup heavy or whipping cream
1. In medium bowl, mix flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. With pastry blender or two knives used scissor-fashion, cut in shortening and 4 tablespoons margarine or butter (1/2 stick) until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, into flour mixture, mixing lightly with a fork after each addition until dough is just moist enough to hold together. Shape dough into ball.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. On floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll dough into a round 1 1/2 inches larger all around than inverted 9-inch pie plate. Ease dough into pie plate; trim edge leaving 1-inch overhang. Fold overhang under; pinch to form high edge; flute. With fork, prick bottom and side of piecrust in many places to prevent puffing during baking. Line piecrust with foil and fill with pie weights, dried beans, or uncooked rice. Bake piecrust 10 minutes; remove foil with weights and bake 10 to 15 minutes longer until golden. If pastry puffs up during baking, gently press it to pie plate with back of spoon. Cool on wire rack.
3. In 3-quart saucepan, mix cornstarch, 3/4 cup sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; stir in milk until smooth. Over medium heat, cook until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly; boil 1 minute.
4. In small bowl, beat egg yolks slightly. Into yolks, beat small amount of hot milk mixture. Slowly pour yolk mixture back into milk mixture, stirring rapidly to prevent lumping. Over low heat, cook mixture about 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture is very thick.
5. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in 2 tablespoons margarine or butter (1/4 stick) and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla. Slice 2 bananas. Pour half the filling into piecrust. Arrange sliced bananas over custard; spoon remaining filling over banana layer. Place plastic wrap directly on surface of filling and refrigerate pie about 4 hours or until filling is cold and set.
6. To serve, in small bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat heavy cream and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla until stiff peaks form. Spread whipped cream over filling. Slice remaining banana and arrange around edge of pie.INFO: