Apple Brown Betty
Work Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 25 minutes
8 slices firm white bread, torn into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup margarine or butter (1 stick), melted
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples (about 6 medium), peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In 15 1/2″ by 10 1/2″ jelly-roll pan, bake bread pieces until very lightly toasted, about 12 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Grease shallow 2-quart ceramic or glass baking dish.
2. In medium bowl, combine melted margarine or butter and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Add toasted bread; toss gently until evenly moistened.
3. In large bowl, toss sliced apples, brown sugar, lemon juice, vanilla, ground nutmeg, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
4. Place 1/2 cup bread pieces in baking dish. Top with half the apple mixture, then 1 cup bread pieces. Place remaining apple mixture on top; sprinkle with remaining bread pieces, leaving a 1-inch border all around edge.
5. Cover dish with foil and bake 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or until apples are tender and crumbs on top are brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.